Sunday, December 8, 2013

Chick pea chili

I love new recipes. At least once a week I try to incorporate something new into our routine, so we don't get bored with the same ol' same ol'.

 This weekend I chopped and peeled an ENTIRE butternut squash to make this crock pot meal.  If you've ever cooked with a butternut squash before, you know what a task this can be. Gah! It dried out the palm of my left hand as well, so beware!  You might want to use gloves!



Ingredients:

1 c dried chickpeas
2 quarts boiling water
2 T EVOO, divided
1 1/2 c chopped onion
5 minced garlic cloves
1 T tomato paste ( I like it tomatoey so I use a little more)
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t kosher salt, red pepper, cinnamon
1/4 t ground turmeric
2 1/2 c low sodium chicken broth (I use vegetable broth since I'm pescatarian.)
1/2 c water
2/3 c pimiento-stuffed olives
1 28 oz can whole tomatos, crushed and not drained
4 c chopped peeled butternut squash
1 c frozen green peas thawed
6 c hot cooked couscous ( I prefer quinoa)
8 like wedges
1/4 c fresh cilantro


1.
place chickpeas in saucepan and add 2 quarts of water, boil.  Cover and let stand 1 hour, drain. Put chickpeas in slow cooker.

2. 
Heat 1 T EVOO in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 4 mins. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and next 5 ingredients. Sauté 30 seconds. Add mixture to slow Cooke . Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients into cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 8 hours.

3.
Heat remaining 1 T EVOO in large skillet. Sauté squash for 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 1 hour, add peas.  Serve over couscous ( quinoa) with like wedges. Top with cilantro.

Well... That's the recipe according to cooking light! I actually added in the squash at the beginning with everything and are after 6 hours. It turned out AWESOME. 


Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment